Sunday, October 3, 2010

BP4_ProofHQ

Web 2.0 Application Review: Proof HQ
by Ginny Holm
I am the Director of Publications at Montverde Academy where I also teach Graphic Design. I work with a lot of different departments. Our school is designed as a campus and the buildings are scattered about. Everyone is in a different location.

Pricing ranges from $17 per month for up to 500mb and 30 proofs
When I work on projects we tend to email each other constantly. We also walk back and forth from each building. This doesn’t sound bad, and really isn’t… when it’s not pouring outside, or freezing, or 100 degrees. Throw in some high heels and professional wear made of polyesters and silks and things sometimes become uncomfortable for the deliverer of edits. Emailing works to a point, but there is nothing (especially with me being more of a visual learner) better than having a face to face with the changes right there in front of you.  With email, sometimes we tend to get confused as to whose came first or what someone meant. Needless to say wires get crossed and changes aren’t always made and errors aren’t always caught.

I found a Web 2.0 application that could possibly enhance our proofing environment. The application is called proofhq, and I went to their website and watched an interesting video http://vimeo.com/14542789 and signed up for a FREE 14 day trail. I have already tested it to see if it really was fast and simple as the video promised. It uploaded my 4.3mb pdf file at a normal rate of speed. I clicked on the upload twice and it wasn’t ready.

After it did process the file (less than a minute, yes I am impatient) I was able to easily figure out the application. I sent a copy of the file to my other address and was able to open and use the application. I had to open my email, click on the link and I was in. With me being the owner, I was able to put some security features on the document too such as not allowing the original file to be downloaded and who was required to okay the file for final approval.

I am going to present this application to my supervisors this week. I really think it could be beneficial to us in the process of proofing. I’ll have to show them how it works and take into account a learning curve even though it really is easy to use. After all not all everyone is as open to new tools as others.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ginny, thanks for sharing this amazing and interesting tool. I agree, proofing graphics for T-Shirts, newsletters, and booklets is always awkward. As you pointed out, it usually involves repeated e-mail of attachments back and forth to the print shop in order to finalize a design. I plan to try this tool out as well.

I wonder how much it costs per year and how difficult it is for non-editing users to use the program. Also, I wonder can you have multiple editing users collaborating on a design at the same time? This could really catch on in the print/publishing world and cut down on my InDesign work load. Thank you for sharing this interesting Web2.0 tool.

Rowdy319 said...

Ginny, you got my intrigued with the uses of this site as well. However, after reading the end of your post I was wondering if emailing the .PDFs was not just as fast if not faster since you said you received an email that gave you a link to click on then took you to the proof.

Does this site allow you to make notes or highlight areas that need changes on the images themselves?

Or is it a compatability reasoning, i.e., not everyone can open .psd, .gifs or .eps files?

Just got me thinking. ;)