Sunday, October 17, 2010

PE2_Google SketchUp

Google SketchUp by Ginny Holm
I have watched 4-5 instructional videos on Lynda.com for Google SketchUp. Tip: be sure to use a 3-button mouse, it makes navigation much easier. I learned how to navigate using the orbit, pan, and zoom tools. I greatly admired a group of townhomes the narrator brought in as I am an architect deep inside with poor math skills.


After watching the videos I really just wanted to get started immediately and usually (losing this term loosely) am able to figure out a program pretty quickly on my own.




Lynda.com lesson on left / my new document on right

I easily opened a document that gave me a person on an axis with a lot of green space. I longed for the townhouse that I had seen on the Lynda.com instructional videos and chose File/Add New Building. It brought me to an option to choose buildings from around the world. That seems a bit overwhelming, and I really only wanted a grouping of Charleston style townhomes that I saw on my instructional videos. I tried File/3D Warehouse and was able to type in the term townhouse and choose from many styles that Google SketchUp users had uploaded. I settled on one and brought it in.

Note the little back object near the left townhome,
it's the balcony... more things to learn!


I used my newly learned orbit, pan, and zoom tools to view the design from various angles. This particular model had empty boxes attached. I tried my hand at adding windows by using the rectangle tool. I felt I needed a balcony and used the 3D warehouse to locate a nice wrought iron style. I was able to load it onto my document, but as you can see it’s dangling over the walkway and it’s not facing the right direction. Obviously I need to watch a few more videos…

No comments: