Thursday, October 7, 2010

BP5_Flickr.com

by Ginny Holm
a screenshot of flickr.com

Blog post 5: 
Web 2.0 Tools

The tool I am choosing for this week’s post is Flickr.com. I’m sure most of you have an account with this Web 2.0 tool and use it for personal photos and sharing with friends and family. I have to admit though, that I didn’t have a Flickr.com account until now, and for photo sharing I’ve been using good old email and Facebook.

Okay, now I know I need to quit sounding like a cavewoman and get a move on with Web 2.0… that would be one of the reasons I am pursuing my Masters in EMDT at FSO. So why I chose Flickr.com is for several reasons and they apply to both my AR topic as well as my classroom and have applied to my Graphic Design position as well. I didn’t realize this but I have been using Flickr.com as a Web 2.0 source for the past year. A super talented lady that I know (www.saraparetsphotography.com) has been taking pictures for our school. She takes amazing pictures that I have used in our publications with her permission.  Sara has a Flickr.com site and has let me browse and use her photography. So without even realizing it I’ve been using this site to browse and download pictures. She shares her site with all of our school community during occasions like prom, graduation and other special events.

our flickr.com logo
In my classroom I assign several projects that involve the students finding images and using personal pictures. It’s amazing to me when they say to me “how can I get pictures to use in class to class?” When I need images I use my personal collection from iPhoto and cruise the web. I am also a subscriber to iclipart.com. My students who are in 9-12 grade are totally lost because our IT department has blocked Facebook. They just don’t know where to go or what to do for images (or don’t want to put the effort into the search).  With Flickr.com we can create a class account and everyone can upload images to share.  I have started the steps and will introduce the kids to the account in class tomorrow. It should be interesting to see how our site develops (no pun intended…) our group name is MVA Graphic Design and members can join through invitation.  I’ve posted rules and can even ban members who post inappropriate content. http://www.flickr.com/groups/mvagraphicdesign/mvagraphicdesign


No comments: