Sunday, October 17, 2010

PE3_Google SketchUp

Google SketchUp
by Ginny Holm
Google SketchUp continues to confuse and intrigue me. I have watched even more videos on Lynda.com and find them really helpful. I’ve also jumped into the program and am able to easily move, rotate, copy and scale items.

The component tool has many options to choose from.
The component tool, which I found in the Window command in the application bar let me choose from an array of things including people, construction, transportation and more. I’ve enclosed a screenshot so you can see exactly what options are available. There is an interactive feature on some of the components that allow you to “interact” with the objects. Examples include opening and closing the car door (to see if it will hit the wall or fence you may have placed next to it). You can also interact with some of the figures, which allows you to change the color of their shirt. A really cool use of this new feature is for example the fence in my rendering. When I pulled it into the document it was only 5 or 6 panels long. Since it had a green interactive triangle indicator on the thumbnail when I saw it in the component panel I knew it was interactive. It allowed me to select it, and using the scale tool I just pulled it and it stretched and added panels accordingly. You can find all kind of things that you can modify to fit your designs like stairs, windows, etc.

Green triangles indicate the component is interactive.
While I am progressing, I am nowhere near a Google SketchUp artist. I will have to watch a lot more videos and put in more time to figure out if I will ever master this program. I can see where it’s fun to play with, but I want to use it to actually produce renderings for my school. Hopefully Week 4 will bring some much needed aha moments.

No comments: