Friday, October 15, 2010

BP9_Quizlet.com

BP 9: Quizlet.com
by Ginny Holm

Every time test times nears in my Graphic Design class, I see the panic in my student’s eyes. The uncertainty, the unease and the questions… “Mrs. Holm what should we study?” “Mrs. Holm is ___________ going to be on the test?” “Mrs. Holm… the questions and anxiety go on and on.

My methods of preparation include vocabulary words, a review that includes visuals that use PowerPoint and group discussion followed by the exam the following day. My test format is a combination of fill-in-the-blank, true or false, and essay. I wonder though, is the vocabulary a good way to study for all of my students? What about the spatial learners? Although the PowerPoint helps them, I wonder when they go back to their dorms is the vocabulary enough for them to study and retain the information to successfully complete their test?

I stumbled upon Quizlet.com via the Web 2.0 links on the Dashboard. My idea was that by using this freeware the students could create flashcards that help them better prepare for tests. The students in my class represent 40 different countries. Some of them have only been speaking English for 3 years or less. I hope that this Web 2.0 tool can provide them with an alternative to studying vocabulary words with definitions.

It’s easy to access, allowing for signup through your Facebook account so you don’t have to create yet another log on screen. Getting started was super easy; you can create your own flashcards or choose from theirs. I decided to create my own, since my class is pretty specific. Quizlet prompted me from there, allowing me to create a few samples. The program even offers the option to upload pictures, which would be great when studying the tools in the CS4 applications. The really neat thing is that it offers you the ability to quiz yourself using the flashcards that you created. The student could begin quizzing themselves immediately. It’s a really neat little Web 2.0 tool. I could see my students using it instead of the vocabulary and they wouldn’t have to worry about losing the papers I hand out. The downside could be Internet access. If your school has unreliable access and the student is solely dependent on Quizlet to study there could potentially be a problem.

1 comment:

Judy De Los Santos said...

This sounds like such a great site. You have described the site very well and it compelled me to visit. I will be exploring Quizlet.com some more and probably use it for my own classes.