Friday, October 22, 2010

PE5_Google SketchUp

Google SketchUp
by Ginny Holm

After trying to change the texture of the fountain in the one that I dragged from the Components with little success I decided to try my hand at actually drawing the park myself. I was able to successfully draw the grassy area and pathway and add textures using the materials in the Window/Materials. I found a great fountain in the Components menu.

I watched another video in Lynda.com called Texture Editing that directed me toward the materials window. There was a great selection for just about any item that you could imagine. I plan to add a gazebo and some park benches in my next rendering. Overall I am becoming much more comfortable with Google SketchUp. I feel pretty comfortable in tackling the Centennial project and am pleased with what I have come up with so far.

Word to the wise for beginners, it’s not as easy as everyone says. You need to tackle it with a very open mind and try not to have an idea of what you want or expect. Just go in with a fresh slate, erase Illustrator and any other 2D platform you’ve worked with. You have to literally think in 3D, which isn’t as easy as you would think. I think now that I have watched almost all of the Lynda.com videos (and will watch them all before my final post) and am no longer trying to relate this program to anything else I am actually able to accomplish much more. 

No comments: