Saturday, October 23, 2010

PE6_Google SketchUp

Google SketchUp
by Ginny Holm
I have progressed on my Centennial Park. I was able to add a gazebo, a rounded walkway around the fountain, a few park benches and some trees and shrubs. As you can see I've come a long way from the floating balcony rail in PE1. I still have a while to go to make the park look like what I have imagined. I need a richer variety of shrubs and flowers. I need to add in actual grass and have more people (preferably students) mingling around and enjoying the park. 


My Centennial Park is coming along.


Google SketchUp is still a work in progress. I finally mastered rotating today. I found that the protractor that  pops up is used to determine which axis you want to change. Once you've place the protractor, then you move on to rotating the item in the direction you desire. Obviously that would have been good to know when I tried to place the balcony rail on the town home a while back. 


I think overall this is a fun and great product. I would recommend giving yourself time to really learn it before attempting a real project. The possibilities are endless, but the learning curve (at least for me) was challenging. I plan to add to my park little by little. Hopefully within a week or two I will have it exactly the way I want it to look. It requires focus, and when you are interrupted often it makes it hard to remember some of the tools. I don't think I could have done it without the amazing Lynda.com videos. Those were truly a lifesaver! To check out this great 3D tool, click here.

No comments: