Monday, October 11, 2010

W3 Reading


       By Ginny Holm    
      I feel like I have my groove on now within regards to this research thing. Finding valid AR topics is something I am pursuing greatly in hopes of getting organized so that I can begin my Literature Review next month without totally stressing out. Below are this week’s results.
Reading 1 by Christie, B., & Collyer, J.
            It was suggested that three factors determine how an audience responds to a successful multimedia presentation. By assessing these three factors, one could use this to model a multi-media supported presentation that would also be successful within the classroom. The three factors were how much research and information was provided. Second, the overall design and creativity of the presentation. Third was how engaged and entertained the audience was during the presentation.
Reading 2 by Colvin, S.
            This article really grabbed me with the title How to Keep the Audience Awake and Learning.  That is exactly why I chose my AR topic - to get my students more involved in the lecture portion of my class. The author stressed the importance of constructed learning, a way of receiving information in a context that is relevant to the student. It involves active, context driven content in which students can collaborate. She encouraged using PowerPoint not to overwhelm and bore your audience but to stimulate discussion.
Reading 3 by Sung, D., and Huang S.
            There were three points to this study. The first was to investigate Taiwanese technical university’s instructor’s use of technology. The second was to see why or why not they were using technology in the classroom. The third was to see what impact (if any) adding technology to the classroom had. Most teachers had incorporated technology within their instruction. Those that had not found that with their workload it was difficult to find and learn technology for their classroom. It was found that using technology increased the student’s understanding of the content.
Reading 4 by Wei, N.
            A very insightful way of presenting PowerPoint presentations was explained by the author. He suggested that one approach their presentation as a movie with a setting, a hero, a problem and resolution.
                        Well, that was my reading for week 3. As I did last week, I am including a link to my AR Resource page for anyone who would like to use the resources that I found.
image from iclipart.com

           

1 comment:

Jazmin said...

Ginny, I admire the fact that you are now comfortable in your research. I am nowhere near comfortable yet! Do you mostly use Ebsco host or have you found a site that is a bit more useful? Your AR page is nicely organized. I will definitely be using it as a guide for my own. Keep on keeping on, your project sounds like it's right on track.